Monday, November 15, 2010

Mid-November Menagerie

So, it's mid-November, and I've wasted entirely too much time being sick. I've had quite a few bouts of vomiting over the past few weeks, so I'm watching my diet to see what might be the cause. This weekend was a total wash, with very little accomplished. I've got to make up for lost time this week if I am to drive "over the river and through the woods" to (not grandmother's) house I go for Thanksgiving week. It's a trip I'm really looking forward to, and to see some people I don't get to see very often. In fact, it may be my last opportunity to spend Thanksgiving with them if they end up moving out of the country next year. (sniff)


I can say that I've been excited to have spoken to some very interesting people recently about some exciting projects coming up after the end of the year. I do have some things to look forward to.


I recently spotted this comment on my most recent post prior to this one that had me wondering why I didn't just say what he said. It's rare that I struggle to express myself clearly, but lately it has been a challenge to do so as well as this reader has:


"It sounds to me like your point was missed by many people. I have had the discussion for the need to re-examine what we are calling "time" for years, as have others in my field.
Perhaps the best (and most clear) way to explain it to those who enjoy time travel as their religion and/or imaginary friend is to remind them that regardless of time dilation, it is all local, not general, and as you said, all other objects (including crystal fluctuations) continue to move at their own pace unaffected everywhere but in the specific environment of where what we call time dilation is being observed. It doesn't change the speed of crystal fluctuation in the entire universe.
For some, their supernatural beliefs are bolstered only by their misinterpretation of science."
Indeed!


On another note, I've noticed people putting up winter decorations even earlier this year than last. I suppose we'll end up leaving them up year-round before long. Despite the fact that I'm not religious, I do enjoy winter lights and decorations, and have always recognized the biological origins from which all of our seasonal celebrations seem to stem. (Mammals tend to hibernate and/or be less active in the winter and eat more in preparation for what used to be a reduced food supply in colder months.) It doesn't really matter to me that we don't have the need to do that any longer. I continue to enjoy it, mammal that I am.


A.

No comments: