Monday, August 30, 2010

Massachusetts - Day 1 - Arrival

Once the plane landed in Hartford, I called my uncle's husband, Jim, who was there waiting to pick me up. My uncle actually paid for my flight, which was an unexpected surprise, and it made the whole trip so much more relaxing to be flying instead of driving.

I don't like the term "-in-law", so I'll refer to Jim as my uncle as well from now on, rather than "uncle-in-law".

Jim drives a Subaru S.U.V. and he drives like I drive. Sometimes we scare people, but we're good, safe drivers. We just don't pussy-foot around about it! ;-)

The drive from Hartford, CT to MA was beautiful. We arrived in Holyoke, MA around 3:30 p.m., where my grandfather lives until the end of this month when he moves back down to TN to live with his new bride.

We got no answer when we knocked on the door, so we started to head out to my uncles' house, where I would be staying for the weekend. On the way back I decided to call and see where my grandfather was, and it turned out that they were there, they just didn't hear the door. They were in the bathroom cleaning out some of my grandmother's old makeup.

We turned around and went back so I could visit with my grandfather and his fiancee', Jean, for a little while. The conversation at first was about makeup - my grandfather had thought Jean might want to keep some of my grandmother's old makeup (sounds like a typical, clueless guy). We explained to him that makeup expires, and especially eye makeup should not be kept more than three months. "But you don't put all of that on your eyes." Still, we explained, makeup is not something you share from person to person... it's like a toothbrush. Very personal.

I think that was very symbolic for us all that the makeup was getting cleaned out. We won't ever forget my grandmother, who died last year of dementia of the Alzheimer's type, but we are continuing on with our lives, as we should. I also think it was a little difficult for my grandfather on some level, but he was so happy with his bride-to-be that it quickly faded.

I asked Jean and my grandfather (I call him "Pa") to pose for pictures. My grandfather sat in a chair, Jean sat on his lap, and they did NOT hesitate, when I told them to kiss one another, to do so quite passionately. It was wonderful! The two of them were definitely enjoying it! ;-)

Just a couple of crazy kids!
John and Jean, sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

I had no pictures of my family (including my father, who died 25 years ago) after they all burned in a house fire years ago. My grandfather gave me quite a few of the ones he had in his apartment, and that alone was worth the trip!

Here's one of my father, looking quite young at 37, just a year before he died of brain cancer.


Dad - 37 Years Old
(Less than a year before being diagnosed with brain cancer.)
I'm so happy to have these photos! It's great to be able to put photos online now. The fire happened right before digital cameras became popular and before there was a practical means of putting photos online for storage. Your most valuable possessions can now be stored online, and it's nice to know that family photos need never be lost forever in a fire again.


Next: Greg and Jim (and Oberon makes three!)

No comments: