Friday, October 29, 2010

Life's Curveballs - A Former Classmate's Tragic Loss

His name is Chris Granju. His family went to church at St. John's Episcopal Church in Knoxville, TN, where my family went and where my father's funeral was held. I also remember my grandparents square-dancing with his parents on occasion.

The Granju family was, like so many families in our town, wholesome, kind, delightful. They valued community and education. Good people.

Chris was always so well-mannered. He and I were about the same age. We were in the same Sunday school class at St. John's, and both frequently went to "P.E.P." meetings on Wednesday nights.

I'm sure if you had asked anyone back then, nobody would ever have thought that "little Angie" would ever end up in prison. To be sure, my life has taken many unexpected turns. Add all of them together, however, and the grand sum is nothing compared to what Chris and his family have gone through.

I'd been seeing the promotional teasers for "Henry's Story", and I knew it was about "some kid who died of a prescription drug addiction". I was drawn to the story because it was about a local family and was a local news special. I had hoped to watch it, but hadn't made special plans to do so. Now, however, I'm very glad that I happened to have the television on when it aired.

In all honesty, the reason the television was on is because normally I watch "Wheel of Fortune" at that time. (Ok, so I don't actually watch it. I glance at the puzzle long enough to figure it out, then go back to my six or seven tasks which I am simultaneously attempting to complete.)

"Wheel of Fortune" was pre-empted by "Henry's Story". Somehow I knew this was going to be a powerful story, but I had no idea it would hit so close to home...

The name Granju is not a common name. When I first heard that Henry's last name was Granju I immediately thought of Chris. Moments later, I felt a cold chill run down my spine as I saw Chris Granju appear on my television screen and realized that it was his son that had died at age 18.

I've never had kids. I've instinctively known that even the possibility that something awful might happen to any children I would have would add far too much anxiety to my already anxiety-ridden life. People tell me they think I would have made (or still could possibly make) a great mother, but it's not something I can see myself handling without constant feelings of anxiety and inadequacy getting in the way.

So many seem to think that there is a formula for raising healthy, well-adjusted kids. Take them to church (or not), send them to private school (or home school them), communicate well with them about alcohol, drugs, sex...

Henry Granju went to private (Episcopal) school. He had two parents who, even though they were divorced, loved him very much. He had an extended family who also loved him dearly. Friends. Community.

Henry Granju also had a lot of pain in his heart. This pain could not be lessened simply because he had a loving family, friends, access to a community of people who would do anything they could to help anyone who needed it. Ultimately, this pain led him down a road that ended his life far too soon. Now, his family has pain that surpasses exponentially the pain that any one person could possibly feel.

Losing a child is the worst possible loss. We bring children into the world to nurture them and watch them grow into the future adults who will help make the world a better place where we have failed to do so. We do not expect them to be devoured by that world before our own lives are over. Sadly, it happens far too often.

I don't care whether you are an atheist, a Christian, a Muslim, a Satanist, or a Wiccan, losing your own child will cause you the same unbearable pain. Please, share this video (link below) with anyone you know who has "children", regardless of their age. It may save their lives.



No comments: